Movie Night & Popcorn Bar

Cupcake Party Flyer

Cupcake Party Flyer  

Download Flyer

Movie Night & Popcorn Bar

This event is perfect for the whole family – invite your residents to come out for a movie night to watch an old classic, Groundhog Day, starring Bill Murray.

If you host your party the night before, you can have a contest to predict whether the groundhog will see his shadow the next day. Draw from the winning predictions and give away a prize.


  • Build Your Own Popcorn Bar, featuring popcorn in cute cups or bags, along with various toppings (butter, melted white chocolate, melted milk chocolate (you can use Hershey candy bars), M&Ms, Reese’s Pieces, etc.
  • Movie Candy (Junior Mints, Milk Duds, M&Ms, Hot Tamales)
  • Various beverages

For ideas for decorations and food (including how to make your own popcorn bar) visit our Family Events page on Pinterest.

Helpful Hints:

Groundhog Day is available on Amazon and Netflix.

For the children in attendance, here are some printable Groundhog Day coloring pages – provide crayons or markers so your youngest guests can stay entertained during the movie.


Event Type: Party

Food/Non-Food: Food

Target Group: Misc. Adults/Families/Children/Seniors/Single Adults/Women/Men

Seasonal: Groundhog Day (February)

Event Scope: Breadth

Have you done an event like this in the past? If so, share your best practices with us in the comments section.


Movie Licensing Policy

It is important to understand the Copyright Act as it relates to movie licensing. The bottom line is that a property should obtain a movie license for each movie they show at a public CARES event.  The property could incur significant penalties if caught without a license, so it's important that each CARES Team ask their manager before scheduling a movie event.  It is up to the manager if they wish to proceed without obtaining the license.  CARES Teams are only required to notify their manager of the need.  The property would be liable for any consequences and/or fines that came from violating the Copyright Act. The management company may already have an umbrella license for all their properties.  That would definitely be worth checking into! A property manager can obtain a license by contacting the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation to determine the following purchase commitment(s):

  • a title license (license for a specific movie).
  • an umbrella license (license for various movies in partnership with Hollywood studios - Disney, Paramount, Warner Brothers, etc).
  • single license for their property.
  • multiple facility license which offers a discount for management companies who have 3 or more properties, discounts ranging from 5% to 15%.

Other websites that can assist properties and Teams in being compliant with this are listed below. These show how an umbrella license can be obtained to show movies at any time.  The websites are: