Alrighty folks, the 'Gram is changing. Who's ready to learn how to change with it?
"Reel" talk (hehe) - social media is shifting to video and prioritizing moving elements, namely their new reel feature. Designed to be similar to the competing platform TikTok, Reels offers a chance to create fun, short videos that showcase more personality and creativity. If you haven't already, head to the explore tab on Instagram and prepare to be entertained.
Whether you're an Apartment Life Coordinator, multifamily professional, or simply looking to stay up to date with social media trends, this feature can help you engage with your target audience, showcase your fun events, and celebrate life's special moments with more than just a static image.
How it Works
Select Reels at the bottom of the Instagram camera. You’ll see a variety of creative editing tools on the left side of your screen to help create your Reel, including:
Audio: Search for a song from the Instagram music library. You can also use your own original audio by simply recording a Reel with it. When you share a reel with original audio, your audio will be attributed to you, and if you have a public account, people can create Reels with your audio by selecting “use audio” from your reel.
AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in the effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects.
Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown before recording begins for the amount of time you selected.
Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next to help create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes or adding new friends into your reel.
Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected. This can help you stay on a beat or make slow motion videos.
Reels can be recorded in a series of clips (one at a time), all at once, or using video uploads from your gallery. Record the first clip by pressing and holding the capture button. You’ll see a progress indicator at the top of the screen as you record. Stop recording to end each clip.
Where to Start
Consider the following ideas, pick one, and run with it!
- Behind the scenes
- Before and after
- Celebrate an employee / staff member
- Tips 'n tricks
- About us
- Start a trend others can hop in on
- Inspire, entertain
- Take advantage of trending videos / music to boost your exposure.
- Look for an upward arrow in the bottom left of a Reel on the explore page as this indicates a song on the rise.
- Peruse Spotify playlists to view popular music choices.
- To make good Reels you need to, well, watch a lot of Reels... here's your permission to get lost on Instagram for hours on end.
- Reels can only be made and published on a mobile device.
- Popular content is popular for a reason, there's nothing wrong with hopping on the train, just be sure to repurpose it in a way that highlights YOU and your brand.
- Here's an example of how some of our client relations folks worked with a trend, shared info, and clearly had fun doing it! 🤩
Keep it "reel" with us on Instagram 👇🏼👇🏼